• April 14, 2023

Rafael Nadal Withdraws From ATP Barcelona in Fresh French Open Blow

Rafael Nadal Withdraws From ATP Barcelona in Fresh French Open Blow
Share

Rafael Nadal’s preparation for a tilt at a record-extending 15th French Open title suffered a further blow when he announced Friday his withdrawal from the ATP Barcelona tournament.

The 36-year-old Spaniard said he had still not recovered full fitness from the hip flexor injury he sustained in the Australian Open in January and which saw him miss this week’s Monte Carlo Open.

IPL 2023 Points Table: Check Team Standings, Team Points, Wins, Losses & Orange Cap,  Purple Cap

“I am still not ready and so I continue my preparation process for the return to competition,” he tweeted.

The Barcelona tournament starts on Saturday and the French Open on May 28.

Nadal said it hurt him to miss Barcelona.

“Barcelona is a special tournament for me because it is my club by adoption and because playing at home is always a unique feeling,” he said.

The 22-time Grand Slam singles champion — he shares the record with Novak Djokovic — had originally thought he would be out for up to two months.

He pulled out of hard-court tournaments at Indian Wells and Miami, with his sights set on a return at the start of the clay court season.

His fitness problems have become an increasing issue since he won his 14th French Open crown last year.

He eased to victory against Casper Ruud despite having his troublesome left foot anaesthesised to counter the pain — he was diagnosed with Müller-Weiss syndrome aged 18.

He subsequently withdrew from his Wimbledon semi-final due to an abdominal injury.

His long absence from the circuit this time round has seen him drop out of the top 10 for the first time since April 2005 — he is presently ranked 15th.

Read all the Latest Sports News, Check Out Orange Cap and Purple Cap holder details here

(This story has not been edited by News18 staff and is published from a syndicated news agency feed)



Source


Share

Related post

La Liga: Barcelona down Girona in stoppage time; Hansi Flick to miss El Clasico after sending off | Football News – The Times of India

La Liga: Barcelona down Girona in stoppage time;…

Share Referee, Jesus Gil Manzano, shows a red card to Hansi Flick, Head Coach of FC Barcelona, during…
Blow to Barcelona! Young star to undergo surgery ahead of crucial matches | Football News – The Times of India

Blow to Barcelona! Young star to undergo surgery…

Share Gavi will undergo surgery for an injury he sustained in late August (Photo by Alex Caparros/Getty Images)…
UCL: Marcus Rashford Shines On Return To English Soil With Brace In Barca’s Win Over Newcastle

UCL: Marcus Rashford Shines On Return To English…

Share Last Updated:September 19, 2025, 07:45 IST Marcus Rashford netted a brace for the La Liga heavyweights to…