• February 22, 2026

ISL Drama: Kerala Blasters Avoid Home Ground Crisis Just Ahead Of Mumbai City Clash

ISL Drama: Kerala Blasters Avoid Home Ground Crisis Just Ahead Of Mumbai City Clash
Share

Last Updated:

Kerala Blasters bag Kaloor Stadium for their game against Mumbai City after resolving a rent dispute with Greater Cochin Development Authority.

Kerala Blasters recently took part in the AIFF Super Cup. (PTI Photo)

Kerala Blasters recently took part in the AIFF Super Cup. (PTI Photo)

Three-time Indian Super League runners-up Kerala Blasters were on the verge of losing their home ground, but managed to bring the situation under control ahead of their match against Mumbai City on Sunday, February 22.

The Greater Cochin Development Authority, owners of the Kaloor Stadium, the Jawaharlal Nehru International Stadium, increased the rent demanded from Kerala Blasters FC by Rs 2.2 lakh per game just two days before their scheduled match.

The Greater Cochin Development Authority demanded a balance of over Rs 22 lakh from the deposit submitted last season by Kerala Blasters as well, setting a 4 pm Saturday deadline for payment.

Several meetings were held over the past two days ahead of the cutoff, but they couldn’t produce any breakthrough.

The crisis escalated at 11:30 am on Saturday when the routine pre-match press conference was called off. Journalists, David Catala and midfielder Rowllin Borges had already gathered at the venue when security personnel entered the stadium and instructed everyone to vacate the premises.

Authorities then locked the stadium gates and shut down multiple offices that Kerala Blasters had set up in preparation for Sunday’s game. Club officials, along with representatives from the AIFF, were also asked to leave.

Later in the day, it emerged that the Greater Cochin Development Authority had permitted Kerala Blasters to stage the game as scheduled, with the club agreeing to make a total payment of Rs 28 lakh within a week.

“In the end, football is the winner. We will take to the field against Mumbai City FC tomorrow (Sunday) for our first home game of the season,” the Blasters said in a statement.

As per a report in The Indian Express, the players remained unaffected by Saturday’s developments, as both teams held their training sessions at the Blasters’ facility located around 10km away from the stadium.

News sports football ISL Drama: Kerala Blasters Avoid Home Ground Crisis Just Ahead Of Mumbai City Clash
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Read More



Source


Share

Related post

I-League To Undergo A Rebirth: How The Newly-Proposed ‘Indian Football League’ Aims To Rewrite Destiny

I-League To Undergo A Rebirth: How The Newly-Proposed…

Share Last Updated:January 28, 2026, 21:00 IST Indian football nears a turning point as I-League clubs push for…
Indian Football Still In Limbo! ISL Clubs Told To Form Consortium For AIFF AGM; IWL Still Without Sponsor

Indian Football Still In Limbo! ISL Clubs Told…

Share Last Updated:December 18, 2025, 22:05 IST ISL clubs are asked to propose a consortium to run the…
Delays, cancellations & missed flights: Chaos spares none, from footballers to funeral-goers | India News – The Times of India

Delays, cancellations & missed flights: Chaos spares none,…

Share Ten hours on plastic chairs, midnight boarding, pre-match heebie-jeebies. Mumbai City FC’s journey to a Super Cup…