• August 23, 2026

‘Reservation Hatao Andolan’: Over 20 Detained As Hundreds Protest Quota System In Delhi

‘Reservation Hatao Andolan’: Over 20 Detained As Hundreds Protest Quota System In Delhi
Share

News india ‘Reservation Hatao Andolan’: Over 20 Detained As Hundreds Protest Quota System In Delhi

Last Updated:

Around 300 people gathered at Delhi’s Connaught Place demanding changes to the reservation system, with police detaining more than 20 protesters over the unauthorised gathering.

A large number of people gathered at Delhi's Jantar Mantar on Friday to protest against caste-based reservation. (Image: ANI)

A large number of people gathered at Delhi’s Jantar Mantar on Friday to protest against caste-based reservation. (Image: ANI)

A protest demanding changes to India’s reservation system drew around 300 people to Connaught Place in Delhi on Sunday. Police detained more than 20 participants after the gathering took place without permission, officials said.

The demonstrators assembled around the outer circle of Connaught Place with placards and slogans. Their demands centred on changing the existing quota framework and giving greater importance to a person’s economic condition when deciding access to reservation and government assistance.

The protesters said financial hardship affects people across communities and argued that support should be directed towards those facing economic difficulties, irrespective of their caste.

“We are not against reservation. We want reforms in reservation. The government should understand that poor people from all communities also face difficulties and their concerns should be heard,” a protester said.

Participants also called for the introduction of a creamy-layer provision and changes to policies concerning Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and Other Backward Classes.

Some protesters sought a review of the University Grants Commission framework and the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act. They said wider changes were needed in policies affecting education and employment opportunities.

Another participant said the reservation framework should be reassessed so that its benefits reach people who need them most.

Police said the demonstration had not been authorised. Officers moved in to clear the area and detained more than 20 people. Security personnel continued to remain deployed in Connaught Place after the gathering was dispersed.

Protest Follows Online Campaign

The demonstration was linked to the “Reservation Hatao Andolan” campaign, which has built a large following on Instagram. The page, followed by around 5.6 million people, had encouraged supporters to take the campaign from social media to the streets.

The online mobilisation had already resulted in a gathering at Jantar Mantar two days earlier. Several people were detained after turning up at the site without the required permission.

At the same time, a separate protest under the same banner had received police approval at Ramlila Ground. The authorised event was permitted to have up to 500 participants and could continue until 4 pm.

The latest gathering is likely to add to the ongoing debate over the reservation system, with protesters calling for reforms rather than its complete removal.

Key Questions Answered

Powered by

ask search iconAsk News18

The ‘creamy layer’ provision aims to ensure that reservation benefits reach genuinely disadvantaged sections by excluding affluent individuals from backward classes. This provision is currently applied to Other Backward Classes (OBC) reservations, but not to Scheduled Caste (SC) and Scheduled Tribe (ST) reservations.

Powered by

ask search iconAsk News18

About the Author

Anushka Vats

Anushka Vats

Anushka Vats is a Sub-Editor at News18.com with a passion for storytelling and a curiosity that extends beyond the newsroom. She covers both national and international news. For more stories, you can …Read More

instagram

Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Read More




Source


Share

Related post

‘अब लड़कियां…’, पुणे में होने वाले गूंज कार्यक्रम पर बोले राहुल गांधी

‘अब लड़कियां…’, पुणे में होने वाले गूंज कार्यक्रम…

Share लोकसभा में विपक्ष के नेता और कांग्रेस सांसद राहुल गांधी ने महाराष्ट्र के पुणे में छात्रों की…
देशभर में कहां-कहां गूंज रहा पेपर लीक का मुद्दा? जानें हर शहर का हाल

देशभर में कहां-कहां गूंज रहा पेपर लीक का…

Share पेपर लीक और परीक्षाओं में गड़बड़ी के खिलाफ छात्रों का गुस्सा अब सिर्फ एक-दो शहरों तक सीमित…
Jantar Mantar no longer ideal location for protest site? SC hears PIL seeking alternative venue

Jantar Mantar no longer ideal location for protest…

Share SC hears plea on Jantar Mantar as the protest venue site NEW DELHI: The Supreme Court on…