• February 24, 2024

World War II-era bomb safely detonated at sea in England – Times of India

World War II-era bomb safely detonated at sea in England – Times of India
Share


NEW DELHI: An unexploded bomb, which led to one of the largest evacuation since World War-II was safely detonated at sea in England, according to the ministry of defence, reported AP
A 500-kilogram (1,100-pound) explosive was found on Tuesday in the backyard of a residence in Plymouth, a coastal city in southwestern Britain. To guarantee the safety of over 10,000 residents, an evacuation was conducted.The unexploded bomb was then transported through a densely populated residential zone via a military convoy to a ferry slipway near the HMNB Devonport base as it was safely taken out to sea.
The munition, recognized as a World War Two – designated SC-500, an air-dropped German bomb, was deemed to pose a considerable threat to public safety. This assessment led to the evacuation of residents within a radius of about 300 meter, according to a press release on the UK government website.
More than 100 personnel from the British Army and Royal Navy and more than”30 of the Armed Forces’ most experienced bomb disposal specialists” were involved in the operation, as mentioned in the press statement.
The press release also had a statement from defence secretary Grant Shapps who thanked all the personnel involved and said, “I would like to express my thanks to all our personnel involved in this highly complex operation, who worked both night and day this week to keep the public safe and minimise the risk of damage, as well as the public for their patience and cooperation.”
Tudor Evans, the leader of Plymouth City Council, said, “I think it is fair to say that the last few days will go down in history for Plymouth.”
During World War II, Plymouth, which has been home to major naval bases for centuries, endured extensive bombings. Local officials report that 1,174 civilians were killed in 59 air raids, and nearly 3,800 homes were destroyed while another 18,000 suffered heavy damage.




Source


Share

Related post

‘Our Defence Was Not Good’: Head Coach Craig Fulton Reacts After India’s 2-4 Defeat Against England

‘Our Defence Was Not Good’: Head Coach Craig…

Share News sports hockey ‘Our Defence Was Not Good’: Head Coach Craig Fulton Reacts After India’s 2-4 Defeat…
No Harry Kane! 3 Players Each From Spain And France In FIFA Dream XI Of World Cup 2026

No Harry Kane! 3 Players Each From Spain…

Share Last Updated:July 22, 2026, 23:46 IST While Kane finished the tournament as the fifth-leading goal-scorer and played…
Argentina’s FIFA World Cup 2026 Story So Far: Every Match That Brought Them This Close to History

Argentina’s FIFA World Cup 2026 Story So Far:…

Share Argentina faced Algeria in their Group J opener on June 16 at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City…