• April 9, 2024

Soccer-New Cameroon Coach Brys Signs Contract But Federation Skips Ceremony – News18

Soccer-New Cameroon Coach Brys Signs Contract But Federation Skips Ceremony – News18
Share

Published By: Sports Desk

Last Updated:

Read all latest and breaking Sports News on News18.com

Cameroon’s new coach Marc Brys penned a contract on Monday but the Belgian’s appointment by the government remains contentious as the football federation did not attend the signing ceremony.

YAOUNDE: Cameroon’s new coach Marc Brys penned a contract on Monday but the Belgian’s appointment by the government remains contentious as the football federation did not attend the signing ceremony.

Brys has been handed a 2-1/2-year contract by Cameroon’s sports ministry but the federation (FECAFOOT) was conspicuous by its absence at the event in Yaounde.

Last week, FECAFOOT criticised the unilateral decision of sports minister Narcisse Mouelle Kombito to appoint the 61-year-old Brys, who has no prior experience as a national team coach and has not previously worked on the African continent.

FECAFOOT president Samuel Eto’o issued a statement on Monday, excusing himself from the unveiling event.

“We thank you for inviting us to the ceremony. Following this, we inform you of the fact that we received the letter two hours before the said ceremony,” wrote Eto’o.

“Unfortunately, we are busy organising the funeral of our late Dad, and for this reason we will not be able to attend presence at the ceremony.”

His father’s funeral is to be held at the weekend.

Eto’o balked at Brys’ appointment and is now in a deepening standoff with the minister.

In Cameroon, the government has long paid the salary of the national team coach and therefore held powerful sway over FECAFOOT’s affairs, even if such state interference is frowned upon by world football’s governing body FIFA.

Any heightened dispute risks a potential ban from international competition for Cameroon, one of the heavyweights of African football.

FECAFOOT held an emergency meeting on Saturday and asked Eto’o to propose an alternative coach for the national team.

Earlier on the weekend, the minister had defended the appointment, saying he had acted in accordance with national and international regulations.

In a letter to FECAFOOT, Kombi said his ministry’s appointment of coaching staff “in no way affects the autonomy of FECAFOOT and does not violate any of the ‘supranational regulations”.

He said FECAFOOT had suggested three candidates to the ministry but their salary demands ranged between 1.5 million euros and 2.5 million euros ($1.63 million and $2.71 million) per year.

“These are excessive amounts never paid to any coach in the history of the Indomitable Lions,” Kombi said.

($1 = 0.9211 euros)

(Writing by Mark Gleeson in Cape Town; Additional reporting by Amindeh Blaise Atabong in Yaounde; Editing by Ken Ferris)

(This story has not been edited by News18 staff and is published from a syndicated news agency feed – Reuters)



Source


Share

Related post

Site, web accounts blocked, says Cockroach Janta Party founder

Site, web accounts blocked, says Cockroach Janta Party…

Share NEW DELHI: Cockroach Janta Party (CJP), the online satirical movement, claimed another setback on Saturday after founder…
Fuel prices up 3rd time in 10 days, PSUs losing Rs 13/litre on petrol, Rs 38 on diesel

Fuel prices up 3rd time in 10 days,…

Share NEW DELHI: Public sector oil companies increased petrol and diesel prices by nearly 90 paise per litre…
JD Vance makes unplanned return to Washington, claims report triggering speculations over Iran

JD Vance makes unplanned return to Washington, claims…

Share Reports claimed JD Vance made an unscheduled return to Washington Saturday. Conservative commentator Nick Sortor claimed that…